Running Costs

Your new chalet has the advantage of needing very little maintenance, leaving time to relax and enjoy it.
Once you have moved into your new chalet we will assist you in contacting the different services and companies to ensure that your details are registered in their database. If you live in the UK, or elsewhere, we will make sure they have your full UK address and help you to set up direct debits to pay any bills.
The running costs are minimal and we have listed below the main expenses connected with your new chalet:-

Rates and Taxes
Residential Tax (Taxe d’Habitation)
Based on the internal area (surface habitable) of the property and invoiced annually, generally in the autumn.
Property Tax (Taxes Foncieres)
Based on the internal area (surface habitable) of the property and invoiced annually, generally in the autumn.

Service charges
Called ìcharges de co-proprieteî and specific to new build properties on residential developments, they cover the maintenance of the on-site amenities and communal gardens. They are usually invoiced quarterly by the appointed management company (Syndic de co-propriete) and calculated on the internal area (surface habitable) of the property.

Utility Bills
Water and electricity are all metered and the bills are payable according to your consumption. The water is normally invoice annually and the electricity every two months.

Property insurance
It is the responsibility of the new owner to have their new property insured from the date of delivery (key handover), to include building, contents and public liability (responsabilite civile). In the case of an apartment, the building insurance is often subscribed to by the appointed management company and included in the service charges for the apartment.

If you have a mortgage your lender will often provide you with the necessary insurance though, if not, we can arrange this for you through our partner, Swiss Life Insurance.
A few weeks before the handover of our chalets we contact our clients to remind them of the necessity of insurance and to assist them if needed.

Television licence
A television licence is a legal requirement in France. Licence fees are collected by the local tax office with your residential tax (Taxe díHabitation). If you do not have a television and do not intend to install one, it is your responsibility to advise the tax authorities shortly after taking delivery of your new property. You will be sent a form to fill in and return to your local Tax Office which are able to do on your behalf.